What To Do This Week
Posted on 08 September 2016
Do you ever have trouble figuring out what to do with your family on the weekends? Weekdays can be so stressful. Between school, work, and taking care of things at home, it is sometimes impossible to squeeze in quality family time. As busy as we get, our kids still need us to spend time with them. This weekend let's put the phones down, the agenda aside, and focus on spending time with our kids! These moments do not last forever, so let's make the best of them!
Here are a few ideas that we found for you and your family to do together.
Cool crafts are an easy way to be together, get everyone involved, and have fun!
If you do not know what to craft, here are two options that are fun for all age groups!
Every kid loves to play with playdoh, it's a classic; however, this craft involves creating your OWN playdoh! Not only is it better for you, it is way cooler than the boring store-bought versions. Check out this recipe for safe swirl pladoh from sweetashoney.com below!
Swirl Playdoh Recipe:
- 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon craft glitter
- 2 tablespoon cream of tartar (makes dough utlra soft and lasts up to 1 month!)
- Drops of purple, green, pink, blue, and yellow food coloring
Mix it all together, and have fun!
Painting is fun, messy, and interactive. This is the best way to let your kids be carefree and unleash their artistic side. Your kids have fun, you spend time together, and you get a new piece of art - it's a win-win. The directions to the ultimate paint day are below.
Paint Day Directions:
- Lay out a giant tarp
- prop up a large piece of wood, pallet, foam, board, anything you want to paint!
- pick your colors.
- have FUN!
The best thing to do if it's raining outside or you just want to spend the day at home, is make dessert together! It is a fun and yummy project that the whole family will enjoy! Here are a few recipes listed below!
this recipe serves one, so alter to however many people you will be serving. This recipe is from Trialanddeater.com
- 1 Fuji Apple
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter, smooth
- 1 handful chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
(or substitute with 1 cup of Nutella)
- cut apples into thin slices and lay out on plate
- melt down peanut butter and drizzle all over apple slices
- melt cholcolate chips in microwave and drizzle all over apple slises.(or nutella)
- sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate chips on tops of apples.
- serve and enjoy.
This recipe is from lovetobeinthekitchen.com
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats (or quick oats)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup mini M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl (I used my stand mixer) stir together the peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar. Do not warm up the peanut butter or the honey.
- Add in the oats, salt, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg and then add it to the mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Press the dough very tightly in the cookie scoop to form the balls if using your hands squeeze the mixture tightly into a ball so it doesn’t crumble.
- Form the balls onto a cookie sheet, press down slightly, top with the M&M's and more mini chocolate chips if desired and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Watch the cookies closely and remove when the bottom barely starts to brown even if they don't look completely done (they cook more as they cool).
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
This may sound like the most simple of the three, and it is! Here's a list of things to do to just hangout with your family!
1. Go on a bike ride
2. Go on a walk
3. Play hide-and-go-seek
4. Play a sport
5. Go to the park
6. Plant a garden/plant
7. Fly a kite
8. Bug hunt
9. Play with chalk
10. Collect leaves/ collect flowers.
11. Go to the movies
12. Have movie night at the house.
13. Go somewhere you have never been.
14. Go shopping
15. Go to a local arcade
Whatever you end up doing this weekend, we hope you do it together. We hoped you enjoy this week's blog, and we hope it helps you figure out what to do with your family this weekend!